Carpet Repair Kit / Cookie Cutter
The ultimate carpet spot & stain removal tool
when all else has failed!
The ultimate carpet spotting tool, when all else has failed, is a “cookie cutter.”
Utilize remnants or carpet from a hidden area to repair burns, permanent stains, rips, tears, bleach spots and other small damage. The repair kit is used to remove the damaged area from the carpet and to cut a matching piece from a remnant or hidden area of the carpet.
Unlike the cheaply made and hard to use plastic cookie cutters with a fixed pivot pin, this cookie cutter tool is made from polished cast aluminum, has an adjustable depth pivot pin and four replaceable blades to cut a 3¼” diameter circle.
The kit includes six 4½” diameter Insta-Hold pressure sensitive adhesive backed disks to bond the repair piece to the rest of the carpet. The Insta-hold is a tough, extremely tacky, adhesive pad that holds the repaired area together.
NOTE: This system is designed for repairs of cut pile carpets and rugs (except hand woven or oriental rugs) installed over a pad. Not for use on direct glue-down carpet installations.
Carpet Repair Kit (Cookie Cutter) Directions:
NOTE: If remnant looks much better than the carpet that it is being patched into, roughen it up such as rubbing it on concrete until it looks about as bad as the rest of the carpet!
- Insert cutting blades.
- Make sure pivot screw and blade screws are tightened firmly. Note that the picture shows blades positioned for right hand use.
- The center pivot screw screw should be positioned so that point extends about 1/8" beyond the tips of the blades.
- Select a carpet remnant which matches the damaged area. If no remnant is available, locate a matching area from the hidden section of the carpet.
- Place a small piece of tape over the center of the damaged area.
- Position the tool so that the tip of the center pivot screw is over the center of the damaged area.
- Press tool down firmly. With a rotating motion, cut entirely through the carpet, but not the pad.
- Very carefully lift tool, being sure the damaged area is being raised. If not, realign pivot screw and finish the cut.
- Repeat steps 5 through 8 to cut a matching replacement piece from carpet remnant or hidden area. Check matching piece for correct pile direction.
- Moisten fingers and remove protective liner from and Insta-Hold disc.
- Moisten the adhesive side of the disc, keeping your fingers wet while handling. The water prevents premature adhesion.
- Insert Insta-Hold disc through the cutout using the pre-cut slit. Turn counter-clockwise when rotting disc into position.
- Center Insta-Hold disc so it lies flat and the end of the pre-cut slit is positioned at the center of the patch area.
- Seal carpet edge to prevent delamination of carpet backing.
- Install matching carpet patch, being certain to match the pile direction.
- Trim any loose tufts.
- Step heavily on repaired area to assure good adhesion.
- If replacement patch came from a hidden section of carpet, install the damaged area cut-out in that location.
Related Carpet Repair and Installation Products:
Carpet Repair Kit Order Form: